The Cherubim Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN!

5 posters

Go down

Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN! Empty Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN!

Post by Game Nurse Sun 6 Sep - 9:27

All righty, you all that know and love me, know that I just became a gamer last year really. Never played any game before, most especially any MMO. Well I played Age of Mythology a bit, and really loved that game. Then I bought Guild Wars on a whim...

And now I have jumped in with all feet available. Just love gaming. Cannot believe I never did all this before.

Anyways.

So I went out and bought Champions Online.

Kinda on the spur of the moment, just thought I would give it a whirl to see what all the fuss is about.

O. M. Gosh. It is the MOST amusing game I have played EVER!!!

First of all, the graphics are amazing. Now they are not what you would think amazing like Aion or even our beloved Guild Wars. NO, they are kinda odd at first actually. Not WOW odd, just...different. But My Goodness, the animations are amazing, the powers are top notch, and some of the graphics make me go Whoa, that is neat.

However, here is what is so darn amusing about the game.

1) Characterization. OMGosh I spent like hours and hours creating my toon. Seriously. You can make ANY toon in the world. Want a GW toon? You got it. Want Bozo the clown? Bingo. You want to be a dog, cat, rat, lizard? No problem. It is amazing. And the graphics of the outfits is stunning. Really. I cannot describe the versatility involved.

2) Powers. There are tons of them. Yeah, they all do damage, basically, and yeah, there is nothing new there. But the animations are incredible. From power bubbles, to fire bolts, etc., etc. Theya re great fun.

3) Gameplay. Well it is actually fun. Now I have not gotten far yet. The game was just released on Tuesday and I have been playing it just for an hour or two after work to wind down...and most of that has been making the Perfect All Time Gorgeous Super Hero Toon!!! *grin* However, once I got over my rather large vanity streak, I actually played the game. At first I did not like it. Did not get it. Found it annoying. But the more I got into it and figured things out, the more I liked it. Xanthos you would go crazy for th assassin type toon. There are about 14 'classes' but it is set up like GW where you can get any skill you want, however, you have points in each category that buff the skills...yadda yadda. But unlike GW you cannot change your stats. If you put all your points in dexterity (for example) they are there. I think. Have not figured out if I can change them or not yet. But they have all the classes we know and love...kinda sorta. There is ranger, assassin, warrior, mesmer, ritualist, etc. etc. and a few more that are really fun. I spent a further few hours trying to figure out what class I wanted. And then I had to make my toon match the idea of that class. And then I had to figure out how to play it, and if I liked it, and...well you see now why I have not gotten very far *smile*.

4) travel powers. Well these are just plain fun. Really.

5) actually doing quests. Well this is standard, however there are LOTS and lots of goodies scattered about everywhere. It is quite fun. You are flying innocently over the Frozen Wasteland that is Canada (yes, *sigh* poor Canada is once again relegated by the US as a frozen wasteland. *double sigh*) and Look!!! There are people down there in distress!!!! Looks like a job for Super Nurse!!! (yes, of course that is one of my toons!!!) And even though that is not in your log and you had no idea it was there, you rescue them. There are little nuggets like that all over as far as I can tell, and I find them amusing and make me want to explore.

6) It is different. I am not sure I can articulate exactly how. I mean, it is standard Go Kill Ten Rats type of stuff, or Go Fetch me THAT over there because I am a lazy NPC, but for some reason the whole gameplay feels different.

7) and finally, well I am sure I can think of more things I like about it...but finally for now anyways... I can spend FOREVER staring at everyone's toons. Everyone knows I am a rubber necker. I admit it freely *grin* I am always cheking out everyone else's outfits and hair styles. I mean in the GAME - ok maybe a little in real life as well - but I am talking about games here lol. And there are LOTS to look at. LOTS and LOTS. I mean since the possibilities for toon creation are literally endless, there are endless varieties to look at. From the ridiculous to the sublime. I spotted a seriously drugged out hooker, and of course the inevitable teenage boy fantasy strippers complete with g-strings and pasties. A gorgeous Gabriel-type Angel. Many beast type things, a whole range of GI Joe and other Army/Halo type warrior things, several different versions of Batman (both the campy 60's guy and the modern sex stud guy), Joker, Robin, and any other hero you can think of including Wonder Woman, Isis, and of course Cat Woman. And everything in between. It is incredible how creative people can be, some of the toons are absolutely stunning. And of course there are some people that should never, EVER be allowed to create a toon and (Oh Horrors!) dress it.

Anyways, just wanted to share. It is a game that I honestly thought I would not like. I thought it would be ugly and annoying, and I - a true fan of fantasy and gorgeous artwork (such that Guild Wars and Aion and Lord of the Rings have) - would loathe it. But I don't!
Game Nurse
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN! Empty Re: Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN!

Post by Pampered One Tue 8 Sep - 22:18

If you like this, go buy a copy of City of Heroes/Villians. Good fun. I played this for a while between my Lineage 2/GW days.

G
Pampered One
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN! Empty Re: Ok. You guys gotta try this game. Seriously FUN!

Post by Trytan Tue 8 Sep - 22:36

Think I remember reading that Champions was developed by a large chunk of the team that made City of Heroes.

I used to be a bit of a comic dweeb, and this game does sound kind of fun. Is this one free to play or is their a monthly fee? Wouldn't mind having another game to hop in and out of every so often. But increasing my gaming budget is pretty well out of the question right now.
Trytan
Trytan
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Thu 10 Sep - 22:19

Q: Will a monthly fee be required to play?
A: A monthly fee is required for Champions Online. Our current pricing is as follows:

$14.99 recurring for a month-to-month subscription.
$41.97 recurring for a 3-month subscription. ($13.99 per month)
$77.94 recurring for a 6-month subscription. ($12.99 per month)

Sorry but my budget is maxed with Aion coming up. But if Aion doesn't work out this sounds like a lot of fun. I may buy it just to see what Super Nurse looks like. [grin]
Danny
Danny
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 236
Other games played : GW2!, Aion, WOW, Lineage II, Runes of Magic, DDO
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by HeavyMetalHead Fri 11 Sep - 6:38

Hmm...maybe, maybe not. Not gonna go for Aion since I'm too used to PvE-focused stuff. Gotten bored with WoW after a couple months (does that surprise you guys any?), so no more time-cards going into that.

I've found one I'm gonna take a look at called Fallen Earth. Dunno who all here is into the whole post-apocalyptic wasteland survival thing besides me, though.
HeavyMetalHead
HeavyMetalHead
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 201
Other games played : Altogether or other MMOs?
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Game Nurse Sat 12 Sep - 16:30

Well I have been playing this game off and on now for about a week, and I am seriously enjoying it. Yes, it is an odd game, not at all what I am used to.

But it is fun amd really encourages group play, the community is VERY good right now, so far mainly adults I think, possibly because it is expensive to buy right now at $60 initial purchase price. I expect more kids to come online once it goes down to the inevitible $19.99 or something.

As for Fallen Earth. Meh. Not at all interested. I do not like the setting, and the graphics (although suppsed to be very good) are all dreary, brown, boring tones. I might be wrong, but so far it seems rather grim to me (which of course it should seeing as it is like post nuclear war time). I like pretty colours and flashy outfits (suprise suprise!!)

And Dan? Yeah, Super Nurse is pretty fun to look at *grin*
Game Nurse
Game Nurse
Lord

Female
Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by HeavyMetalHead Sat 12 Sep - 21:21

Hence why I'M the one taking it for a test-drive rather than you, Nurse. I've played too much Fallout, so I'm used to the "grim wasteland" scenery. Although some of the screenshots from the official site don't make it seem as grim as you think it is.

Besides...I might try Champions out at some point in the near future. May be a day or two after I get it that I'll attempt to hunt Super Nurse down if the character creator is as great as they say it is.
HeavyMetalHead
HeavyMetalHead
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 201
Other games played : Altogether or other MMOs?
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down