The Cherubim Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The build and it's story.

+4
Pampered One
Scion
Game Nurse
Ternnel Stronghold
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The build and it's story. - Page 2 Empty Re: The build and it's story.

Post by Scion Thu 18 Sep - 18:48

I think we all spam Flare just because this is the one place where it is okay. =)

Scion
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rehwyn Fri 19 Sep - 0:58

So after reading this thread, I made a PvP warrior to fool around with and see what I could come up with. Having never actually played a warrior myself, I admit I had to check PvXWiki for several build ideas and went from there.

Before I comment on my attempts, I feel I should mention that the Master of Damage is useful, but really should not solely be used to judge your ability to kill someone in PvP. High sustained damage is nice, but what really kills people is massive spike damage and the ability to shutdown their defenses/healing. To test this, see if you can successfully solo the Master of Healing and Master of Enchantment on the Isle of the Nameless. They give you a much better idea of how good your build is at actually killing people.

First an axe/shield build:

[build prof=W/E str=8+1 axe=12+1+1 air=10][Eviscerate][Executioner's Strike][Disrupting Chop][Bull's Strike][Frenzy][Rush][Conjure Lightning][resurrection signet][/build]

With gear, I had 625 HP and a shield for extra defense. Conjure Lightning is used because the bonus damage ignores armor, but you need a Shocking Axe Haft. The build has the fantastic deep wound, has an interrupt with +20 sec cooldown, and has a conditional knockdown. Frenzy is used instead of Flail to prevent easier kiting and because if you start taking damage, you can (almost) always cancel it with Rush so you don't take double. Res Sig is for if you're doing RA, TA, or GvG. It can be replaced with a utility skill of choice in AB.

Master of Damage results, only one attempt:

The build and it's story. - Page 2 Warriordpstest1zz0

Note that Bull's Strike is useless against the MoD because he doesn't move, which means that damage is likely lower than with it's use in actual combat.

Master of Healing went down like a chump. Simply applied some pressure while building adrenaline. Eviscerate -> Executioner's Strike -> Disrupting Chop (most healers will try to heal after a spike) -> Bull's Strike (when interrupted, people often try to run). Took roughly 20 seconds.

Master of Enchantment was unable to be killed in a timely manner. Without enchant removal, even when I interrupted some of his bigger prots, there was just too much damage reduction stacked. I probably could have waited for his energy to dry up, but I got bored. :p

Second, I tried a hammer build.

[build prof=W str=12+1+1 ham=12+1][Magehunter's Smash][Crushing Blow][Hammer Bash][Bull's Strike][Lion's Comfort][Flail][Enraging Charge][Resurrection Signet][/build]

Only 595 HP this time because there was no shield. Note that the point of this build is not massive damage. The point of this build is a KD chain to set up a spike and to provide unblockable knockdown vs most casters. If properly executed, the target is knocked down for nearly 9 seconds straight.

For the sake of completion, here is the damage results:

The build and it's story. - Page 2 Warriordpstest2br0

Not too impressive. Still, massive damage is not the point of this build and knockdown doesn't really do anything vs Master of Damage. However, this build was capable of killing both the Master of Healing and the Master of Enchanting.

Master of Healing was super easy. Just built some adrenaline and went Bull's Strike, Flail, wait for standup, Magehunter's Smash, Crushing Blow, wait for standup, Hammer Bash, hit a few times. Properly timed, the Master of Healing didn't get a spell of for ~9 whole seconds.

Master of Enchanting was more difficult, primarily because he uses Guardian and Protective Spirit, which made spiking him down harder. I had to wait until neither of those were up and did a similar spike as above. Took over a minute though. In real PvP, you'd have other people assisting you in the spike though, so you don't have to rely on your own damage.

I didn't much feel like making a sword build, so I stopped here.

By the way, I should mention that this is a great place to test out hero builds. In prep for the PvP tourney, I took tons of heroes here and saw how much damage they did, tested if they were able to kill the healers, and watched if the healers were able to withstand the various NPCs such as Master of Axes, Hammers, Energy Denial, Hexes, Lightning, etc.

One closing comment... a duel is honestly not the best test of the quality of a build in PvP. In (good) PvP, you'll have healers and other teammates to complement your abilities and fill in your weaknesses. As a warrior in PvP, your general role will be consistent damage with good spikes, the ability to pressure with KD, and disrupting some casters. The extra survivabilty is mainly a bonus and not a key aspect of the role. Capitalizing on your strengths in damage and disruption will lead to more success in the long run, in my opinion. With that in mind, if you find you have survivability problems in PvP, I suggest you find a good monk and stay with him/her. :p

Still, some builds work well for some people and not so well for others, based on playing style. Also, as everyone has said, there's no point in playing a build unless you enjoy it. I mere tested these build to see what types of things I could do.
Rehwyn
Rehwyn
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 109
Other games played : Too Many (Check 1up Page)
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5618825

Back to top Go down

Post by Ternnel Stronghold Fri 19 Sep - 1:57

Rehwyn, I agree that the master of damage is not a perfect test. And I agree with most of the stuff you said.

P.S.-

i did do a more recent master of damage test and with more practice with my build i got death after 13 seconds
over a period of 3 min. highest damage in one second was 120 in a sec. average dps was 44 or 43 do not remember which. Just happy i have been able to improve my ability to play my build. Just an update not relating it directly to how this build performs in pvp.

-ternnel

Last edited by Ternnel Stronghold on Fri 19 Sep - 2:04; edited 1 time in total
Ternnel Stronghold
Ternnel Stronghold
Squire

Male
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ternnel Stronghold Fri 19 Sep - 2:02

and rehwyn what did you think of warriors?
(for pvp that is) Question
Ternnel Stronghold
Ternnel Stronghold
Squire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rehwyn Fri 19 Sep - 3:02

I didn't do much actual fighting yet, mainly just build testing. Might do some fighting later on though. :p
Rehwyn
Rehwyn
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 109
Other games played : Too Many (Check 1up Page)
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5618825

Back to top Go down

Post by Ternnel Stronghold Fri 19 Sep - 3:08

ok
Ternnel Stronghold
Ternnel Stronghold
Squire

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Scion Fri 19 Sep - 12:37

Jon/Reh,

Agree.

Scion
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeternalia Tue 23 Sep - 12:38

Ternnel , Gratz on whooping me butt in the one on one with your warrior build!

I'm still learning the warrior class so dont get too big headed.. but great job anyway!

Was a pleasure to fight you Sir.

James
Aiko Tenite
Aeternalia
Aeternalia
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2