The Cherubim Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing Volume in Vent

2 posters

Go down

Fixing Volume in Vent Empty Fixing Volume in Vent

Post by Rehwyn Tue 11 Nov - 21:36

I was reading some forums earlier and found a very useful post regarding normalizing volume in Ventrilo. What this does is automatically adjust incoming sound so that it is roughly the same volume all the time. This means that you don't have to individually adjust everyone's volume so that you can hear them or not be deafened by them. Also, it actively adjusts the volume as someone speaks, so if someone suddenly sneezes or something, it'll quickly drop the volume so you don't get your ears blown out.

http://teamlove.us/kisu/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=131

Vent Normalization makes every bodies voice the exact same volume. In essence, you won't blow your ear's out or have difficulty hearing people.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

Gain
How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY *%*%ty.

Attack
How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that any-
thing coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should
be set as low as possible.

Release
how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold
This sets the point where we actually start changing what's coming in. Whereas 0 is the absolute loudest you can have for an input, -60 is super quiet. Average users will probably come in somewhere around -25 to -15, with the occasional few being really quiet, which is why I have this set so low.

Ratio
How much any sound below the set threshold gets compressed and/or modified in the volume department.
If you still want to hear SOME volume variation then set this lower (2-4)... the higher you set it the closer in volume everyone will be.

Pre delay
Mostly just deals with processing; with computer and digital processors they can look ahead a few milliseconds to see what needs to be dropped in volume or changed before it actually comes through the speakers. Highest is ideal.

After you get this set up, talk to a few people. If they are too loud, reduce the "Gain" value. If they are too soft, increase it.

You can still adjust individual volumes for people as well, but this setup above should be pretty good for most situations. I tested it with Mooshy earlier, and it worked great for both of us.

-Jonathan
Rehwyn
Rehwyn
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 109
Other games played : Too Many (Check 1up Page)
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5618825

Back to top Go down

Fixing Volume in Vent Empty Re: Fixing Volume in Vent

Post by Paravell Wed 12 Nov - 15:45

Also you If you have people adjusted already take off those settings.

Everything works great. I have only had to turn down one person.

Paravell
Paravell
Paravell
Shield Bearer

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down