The Cherubim Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sad News Indeed

2 posters

Go down

Sad News Indeed Empty Sad News Indeed

Post by Pampered One Wed 5 Mar - 21:12

Everyone take a moment and say a silent prayer for Gary Gygax. He passed away today at age 69. For those of you that do not know who he is, I will clue you in.

Gary Gygax formed the original Dungeons and Dragons paper and die game back in 1974. I, personally, became exposed to it in 1976 as an eighth grader in omaha Nebraska. I was a fairly voracious player, especially at designing adventures and dungeons for friends. At this time there were no video or computer games in existance. It was all the rage.

For years to follow, many games emulated, copied, or had license to use the principles that he had begun. I first played a computer D&D type game in 1981 called Compleat Odyssey and continued in Licensed games such as the Pool of Radiance and Eye of the Beholder.

Every game we play, including Guild Wars, lineage, World of Warcraft, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Final Fantasy, and many more, owe thier origins to this man that brought together a form of entertainment that has appealed to the tens, if not hundreds, of million of self proclaimed geeks over the years.

For those of you young people that often chortle or scoff at we "OLD" players, keep this in mind. He began this at age 36 and continued designing games until age 66+. Many of us have been playing these games for 30+ years. We are the gaming generation. You are following in our, and His, path. Let's not forget our roots and heritage. I certainly won't.

Thank you Gary(and Kaye his wife)

Pampered One
Pampered One
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Sad News Indeed Empty Re: Sad News Indeed

Post by Aeternalia Wed 5 Mar - 22:29