The Cherubim Knights
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scion's Attribute Primer

4 posters

Go down

Scion's Attribute Primer Empty Scion's Attribute Primer

Post by Scion Wed 25 Jun - 20:02

All,

This lesson is going to be in how to set your attributes up for success, and not peanut butter and jelly.

Each class has a group of attributes, and when you take on a second profession, you gain the ability to use some of that class's attributes, as well.

Each class has a primary attribute that only primary proffesions can use. More on that later.

Attributes are tied to two things: Skills and weapons.

Let's say you just picked up a Bladed Recurve Bow. When you mouse over it, it'll say Piercing Damage 13-25 (Requires 10 marksmanship).

That means that the bow does 13-25 points of damage when the attribute marksmanship is at 10 or higher. The higher the level of marksmanship past 10, the more damage it'll do. This means that only primary or secondary rangers can hit that level of damage, because only they have the attribute marksmanship.

By the way, max attribute without bonuses is 12. Req 9, max damage/Energy is the most common thing to use.

With foci and shields it is a little different, you won't get more HP or armor raising the attribute higher, you just have to meet the requirement.

Last thing about weapons: A 13-25 damage req 10 bow does THE SAME DAMAGE as a 13-25 damage req 7 bow.

A higher req on weapons is NOT good. It means you have to put more points into the attribute in order to use it. Sometimes it is even better to use a less powerful weapon in order to meet the requirements, depending on your level and amount of attribute points available.

When I was a lvl 12 Ranger, I found a max damage req 9 bow. It was awesome. I poured all my points into marksmanship in order to use it. Then all my other skills sucked hard because I didn't have any points to put anywhere else. I went back to using a req 7, with less damage, and putting those extra attribute points elsewhere. Balance (but not peanut butter and jelly) is key.

And remember, anyone can use anything, you just need to meet the requirements in order to use it proper.

Okay, moving onto skills.

In order to do more damage with a skill, you need to raise the corresponding attribute. In order to do more damage with [Flare], you need to raise fire. In order to heal more with [Healing Touch], you raise healing prayers. See how the skill tells you what attribute it uses at the end there? Too easy.

It seems pretty simple, and it is. Here is the thing: If you don't have any healing prayers on your skillbar, you don't need any points in healing prayers. Attributes are tied to skills and weapons. If you aren't using one or the other with your attribute points, then take them out and put them somewhere useful. And boy doesn't it make sense to use weapons along with the skills they have! You a healing monk? Use a healing staff. Don't use a smiting staff. Make sure things jive.

If you are a Monk/Warrior, and you want to be stronger, so you put some points into Tactics in order to trigger some hidden tacticful moves, you are wasting attribute points. You don't gain any tracking powers with points in Wilderness Survival if you don't have skills or weapons using it.

There are no passive skills in Guildwars, all you bring are the 8 skills on your bar and the weapons in your hands.

Except, of course:

There is one attribute that actually does effect your character in hidden and awesome ways. The primary attribute. If you raise this up, it will give a boost to not only the skills of that line, but all skills your character uses. This is the one attribute line that you do not get to put points into when you take on a second profession.

Warrior - Strength - Each rank gives an additional 1% armor penetration when using attack skills - does more damage with all attack skills

Ranger - Expertise - Each rank decreases the Energy cost of all of attacks, rituals, touch skills, and Ranger skills by 4% - uses less energy

Monk - Divine Favor - Each rank heals target ally for an additional 3.2 Health (rounded down) each time a Monk spell is cast on that ally - heals more

Necromancer - Soul Reaping - Each rank grants a 1 Energy each time a nearby creature dies - more energy return

Mesmer - Fast Casting - Each rank decreases the casting time of spells and signets - faster interrupts

Elementalist - Energy Storage - Each rank increases the Energy capacity by 3 - more energy

Assassin - Critical Strikes - Each rank gives an additional 1% chance to critical hit. You gain 1 Energy at 3 ranks and above, 2 Energy at 8 ranks and above, and 3 Energy at 13 ranks and above for each critical hit - more criticals

Ritualist - Spawning Power - Each rank gives an additional 4% Health to creatures animated/created and weapon spells cast last 2% longer per rank - stronger spirits, longer weapon spells

Paragon - Leadership - Every 2 ranks gives 1 Energy for each ally affected by shouts and chants used by the player - more energy return

Dervish - Mysticism - Each rank grants 1 Health and every 3 ranks grants 1 Energy whenever an enchantment ends on the player - more energy return

So, each profession has one attribute line that helps it do its job better. If you are a Warrior/Monk, you will never heal as well as a primary Monk because of the bonuses from Divine Favor. Even if healing prayers is the same, any points in Divine Favor will bump up your healing. On the flipside, a Monk/Warrior will never do as much damage because they cannot put points into Strength.

So if you have some extra points that don't quite fit into your build, throw them into your primary attribute, it'll help.

Sometimes it is good to change things around a bit, a Fast Casting Mesmer primary would help speed up Elementalist's long cast times.

A Paragon using Warrior shouts works well, too.

A Necro with high Soul Reaping can gain up to 16 Energy whenever something dies around it. With all that Energy, Necros actually make good Elementalists or Monks.

Anyways.

Remember, attributes are tied to weapons and skills, make sure you match up before leaving town.

-EDIT-

Last thing - Breaking Points.

So you've got your skills set, you are putting points into attributes, how do you know when 'enough is enough'.

Let's look at some common skills, [Life Siphon], [Troll Unguent] and [Healing Breeze]. Both give a certain fixed amount of health regeneration, but a higher attribute doesn't always mean more healing.

Troll heals +3 at no points in Wilderness Survival, +4 at 2, +5 at 4, etc. That is, if you have six points in Wilderness Survival, Troll will heal you at +6 regen. If you have seven points in Wilderness Survival, Troll will heal you at +6 regen. You need to get to eight points in order to bump Troll to +7 regen.

So if you are distributing your points, and want to use Troll to heal, it would be a waste to leave Wilderness Survival on an odd number. Either take it down one and use the extra points, or bump it up and sacrifice somewhere else.

Same with Healing Breeze, except the break points are in threes. +4 at base, +5 at 2, +6 at 5, +7 at 8, etc.

If you are a Monk secondary and bringing Healing Breeze along for regen (which is highly discouraged, by the way), it would cripple your attributes to keep Healing Prayers at a non break level.

The Necro skill [Life Siphon] almost always increases in duration, but the level of degen is steady. The break points are at 4 and 12 points. If you don't have the points to get Blood to at least 4, you are better off not bringing Life Siphon.

Watch your skillbar when you change your attributes, you can see the changes as you raise or lower the score.

-End EDIT-

Scion

[build prof][/build]

Last edited by Scion on Wed 1 Oct - 5:27; edited 4 times in total
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Back to top Go down

Scion's Attribute Primer Empty Re: Scion's Attribute Primer

Post by Godzuki Wed 25 Jun - 21:03

Very nice guide. This will definitely help anyone who's trying to get their attributes worked out.

You should mention, though, the slight increase in critical hit rate as your weapon mastery attribute goes up. Also, Mending Touch is in Protection Prayers.
Godzuki
Godzuki
Knight

Male
Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Scion Wed 25 Jun - 21:21

Fixed. I was thinking of the wrong skill.
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeternalia Wed 25 Jun - 21:53

Nice job..

EDIT:: could not find any documentation on Smite or Protection prayers having increased duration or strength based off of Divine Favor..

will keep looking.

James
Aeternalia
Aeternalia
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Scion Wed 25 Jun - 22:10

Whenever you cast any monk spell on any ally, Divine Favor triggers. That is, you could go 12 Protection and 12 Divine Favor and still (40 or hp worth) heal things due to the bonus. I do this on my protection hero, and bring a lot of lot cost quick recharge spells, to maximize the bonus.

Actually, I saw a build that uses all Smite and Divine Favor and some spell that doubles the Divine Favor bonus when you cast Smite spells on allies. After all the bonuses and enchants were worked out, every spell healed an ally for like 150 hp, due to Divine Favor and buffs.
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeternalia Thu 26 Jun - 17:29

Yeah, I realize the divine favor bonus heals for all spells cast on an ally.. I had originally posted a question in the post above.. (the edited one) that asked if the smite damage or protection effectiveness was enhanced by divine favor. Then I went and did my research and found no indication that smite spells or protection spells are modified in any way by divine favor .. (in the sense that strength enhances attack skills) so the primary for monk really only enhances the healing power of the monk, even if it does it effectively through other types of skills.

again.. good job on the post Smile
James
Aeternalia
Aeternalia
Lord

Male
Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pampered One Thu 26 Jun - 20:20

Maybe I am misunderstanding monking, but I thought that even when you cast a smite type spell on yourself or ally, don't you still get the hp added onto you from the Divine favor bonus? I play monk so rarely and mostly as a shiverpeaks/maguuma tank that I dont pay attention to that factor but is that not true still for smiting skills?

If I am totally misunderstanding let me know.

Oh, and btw great post. I am going to make Krist read it since he always argues with me about his attributes when I try to tell him.

Pampered
Pampered One
Pampered One
King

Male
Number of posts : 556
Other games played : Lineage 2, 2 moons, CoH, CoV
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Scion Thu 26 Jun - 20:38

I think you got it, Gunter, no reason to confuse yourself.

Divine Favor: Every rank adds 3.2 hp onto any Monk spell that targets an ally (or yourself).

If you have 10 ranks in Divine Favor, any Monk spell will add a bonus 32 hp to the target.

It doesn't matter if it is Healing, Divine Favor, Smite, Protection. Any Monk spell that targets an ally (or yourself) triggers Divine Favor.

-EDIT- And why arn't the skill icons working? [Flare] Work Goshdangit! -End EDIT-
Scion
Scion
Lord

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down